By Dubem George
Seasoned broadcaster, actress and philanthropist, Mabel Oboh was selected recently as the running mate for African Democratic Congress, ADC, Governorship candidate, Hon. Dr Benjamin Akhigbe in Edo State .
Lady Oboh, delved into politics early this year, after she became the spokesperson for the Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos chapter of African Democratic Congress. Thereafter, she was appointed as a member of ADC National Strategy Committee Edo 2020 Governorship Election, before the party chieftains endorsed her as the running mate of their Governorship candidate, Dr Benjamin Akhigbe.
Here are few things you may not know about the famous entertainers :
1.Mabel AKomu Oboh was born on April 18, 1964, into the family of the late Major Humphrey Oboh and the late Mrs Comfort Oboh. Both hailed from Edo state, but she was born and brought up in Lagos State.
2. She is a seasoned broadcaster, actress, film producer, business woman, property developer and founder MabelOboh Centre for Save our Stars (MOCSOS).
3.Mabel was the first tele-movie producer and the second female independent producer and director in Nigeria with her drama series titled “Victims” that later became a network productions in the ’80s and was aired on Nigeria television Authority (NTA). She went on to produce and direct other drama series for NTA
4.Mabel started her career in the entertainment industry in the early 80s after her training in cinematograph, stage craft, speech and drama. She also has a degree in Criminology from Bucks New University, United Kingdom.
5.She joined NTA in the 1990s as a news caster and correspondent during the administration of former Governor Otedola, where she covered the seat of government in Alausa Lagos state, before working with United Nations and later left UN and joined British embassy in the commercial and visa/ consular sections.
6.Mabel donated the first music studio in Agegunle owned by her brother, John oboh, popularly known as Mighty Mouse who created the Ajegunle beat genre in 1991.Her contribution help to discovered and produced Daddy Showkey and Daddy Fresh, Babafryo, African China, Danfo Drivers, marvelous Benji all emerge from there.
- Mabel in 2020, became the first Television Presenter to create a chat show ‘ Chat with Mabel’ which ran on the NTA Network service. She is well loved and we’ll known in the entertainment industry as a great humanitarian. She was given a recognition Award in 2017 by AJ to the world.
- Mabel is presently the public spokesperson of African Democratic Congress.
- She founded Mabel Oboh Centre for Save our Stars (MOCSOS) , in 2019, with the sole aim of catering for the health needs of Nigerian entertainers and the foundation has assisted AJ star, Yellow Banty, veteran actor, Sadiq Daba, Danfo Drivers among others. She currently has a health insurance running for entertainers.
- She has three sons and is married to Michael Ini Udoh